Monday, March 23, 2009

You keep using that word. I do not think it means what you think it means.

I've noticed that over the years words change their meaning. Sometimes words with opposite meanings have even come to mean the same thing. Cool can mean awesome. Hot can mean awesome. But then again, awesome can mean...awesome. You get the picture. But I thought before we got into our next topic, I would talk about two words that often get used the same, but really do not mean the same thing.

Correction:

something that is substituted or proposed for what is wrong or inaccurate; adjustment; discipline

Confrontation:
an open conflict of opposing ideas, forces, etc.;


Hmmm...okay...the dictionary says that these words are not the same. But, just in case...let's try the thesaurus.


Correction:

amendment, improvement, modification, repair, reparation

Confrontation:
battle, contest, crisis, hostility, showdown, strife, warfare


I'm not making this up folks. Look it up for yourself if you want to. Since I will not be using these words the same, I thought it would only be fair to let you know, that they are not the same thing.

As I pointed out in my earlier post, our goal with communicating with our child, I assume, is correction. In other words, I'm going to go out on a limb here and guess that when you do whatever it is you are doing right now to communicate with them it's because you would like them to change a behavior. I mean otherwise, you and I wouldn't really be having this conversation, right? I'd be off sipping a cup of tea, listening to birds chirp in the sunshine and the sound of children laughing as they cheerfully do all their chores and never, ever fight...what? Oh, I'm sorry did I drift off for a minute there? Where was I? Oh, that's right. Confrontation. Lovely.

Do yourself a favor. Learn from my mistakes. Confrontation is not an effective method of correction. Ok, that's it. I'm done. Oh, you wanted more information than that? Yeah, because it's really not as simple as it sounds is it? Later, I'll be talking about correction, where, when, why, how...

But confrontation...is there a place for confrontation? We will talk more about this tomorrow (hopefully)!

God bless!

No comments: